The Gwiae Traditional House
Gwiae Traditional House is the first traditional house in Yeongcheon city to receive a designation certificate as a tourist convenience facility business (hanok experience).
It was first built by Munhunkong Jo Myeong-jik[1733~1807], when he moved in 1767 (the 43rd year of King Yeongjo).
The pavilion and an ancestral shrine were built in 1877 (the 14th year of King Gojong) to commemorate Gwiae Jo Geuk-seong(1803-1877), a Confucian scholar in the late Joseon era who served as a Sagan in Saganwon (Office of Censors), Jipwi in Saheonbu(Office of Inspector General), Dojung in Donryeongbu and Chamui in Gongjo (Department of Public works).
As you walk around the house and pavilion, it feels like they still bear the mood from Joseon dynasty, as if time has stopped.
We would like to open the gates of this Traditional House wide and share our memories with you.
We look forward to meeting you in a place where the past and the present coexist.
We are ready to welcome you with our full hearts.
귀애고택은 귀애공(龜涯公)의 증조부인 묵헌공(默軒公) 조명직(曺命稷)이 조선 영조 43년(1767년) 화남면 귀호리인 이곳으로 이주하여 세거지의 기반을 마련하였다.
그 후 귀애공, 운파공, 일산공 3대에 걸쳐 완성하였는데 이 집의 전체 규모는 귀애정과 사당, 별묘, 육각정을 포함 47 칸의 큰 집이었다. 불행하게도 별묘는 50여 년 전에 도괴 되고 1988년 전기 누전에 의한 화재로 사랑채, 아랫사랑채등 15칸이 소실되고 1991년에 사랑 채를 복원하였다.
이 집은 풍수지리설에 의하면 안산인 보현산 정상(頂上)이 오묘하게 보이고 집터가 소쿠리 모양이라 집을 건립 후 3대 이후에는 자손이 대과에 급제하고 재물이 늘어난다고 했는데 참으로 묵헌공의 증손 형제인 귀애공, 성재공이 대과에 급제하여 국사에 참여하였고 5대손 일산공(一山公) 때는 세인(世人)들이 삼천석(三千石) 집이라 했는데 이는 학문(學問)이 천석이요. 재물(財物)이 천석이요. 이웃에 적선(積善)함이 천석이었다는 뜻으로 지금도 전해져 내려오고 있다. 1945년 광복된 후 혼란기에 좌익 폭도들이 관공서, 양반지주집을 불사르고 인명을 살상 할 때도 귀애공 참의댁은 이웃에 적선을 많이 했다면서 귀애고택을 불사르지 않아 옛 모습을 그대로 보존하고 있다.
이와 같은 역사를 지닌 귀애고택에는 문화재인 귀애정(龜涯亭)과 사당, 연못 속에 육각정이 있어 주변의 자연과 잘 어우러져 그 풍광(風光)이 또 한 매우 아름답다.
너희들은 항상 큰 뜻을 품고 새로운 것을 찾아 깨우치고 實踐할 것이며 어버이에게는 至誠으로 孝道하고 나라에는 愛國하고 집안에는 和睦하여야 한다. 祖上의 遺産을 줄이지 말고 擴大再生産하고 養子女保家成하라.
사람이 바르지 않으면 사귀지 말것이며 그 물건이 의롭지 아니하거든 취하지 말아서 自身과 父母와 祖上을 빛나게 하라.
Gwiae Jo Geuk-seung (曺克承)
was born in Gwiho-ri, Hwanam-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do, in the 3rd year of King Sunjo(1803).
His courtesy name is Gyeonghui, and his clan originated from Changnyeong.
Changnyeong Jo clan has gradually moved into the Yeongcheon region since Jo Shin-chung(曺信忠) first settled in Changsu Village (Hyunsam Hori), Geumho eup, during the reign of King Taejo, and Jo Myeong-jik(曺命稷) moved to Gwiho-ri, Hwanam-myeon during the reign of King Yeongjo and laid the foundation for a residential area for his clan.
Jo Geuk-seung was born as the eldest of four brothers (克承, 右承, 逵承, 善承, 善承) between his father Jo Gyeong-seop and his mother Seo of Dalseong.
He was a follower of Jeongjae Yoo Chi-myeong(柳致明), who passed the literacy exam for civil service with the highest score in April of the 31st year of King Sunjo(1883) and served as Jwarang in Yejo(Department of Rites), leader of Sibuju(Department of Census and Censors), and Inspector in Saheonbu(Office of Inspector General).
He served as Jeonjeok in Sungkyunkwan(Educational Institution) in 1845 and Jeongun in Saganwon(Office of Censors), also holding an additional position as Sagan in Saganwon (3rd rank) and worked as Munshinsunjungwan in 1849.
After that, he received a good reputation by faithfully inspecting the court as a censor, Jipwi in Saheonbu(Office of Inspector General), and then served as Dojung in Donryeongbu (3rd rank) before his retirement back to his hometown and focused on his study and raised his school of Confucianism. His contribution was recognized, and he was presented to the Chamui (3rd rank) in Gongjo (Department of Public works).
His younger brother, Seongjae Jo Gyu-seung(逵承), also passed the literacy exam in the 4th year of King Gojong (1867), and the brothers enjoyed the honor together.
In their later years, both of them devoted their passion to nurturing future generations and focusing on their studies in their hometown, leaving behind the book of 'Gwiae' and the book of 'Seongjae'.
In the 14th year of King Gojong (1877), when his older brother Jo Geuk-seong passed away, he built a pavilion of Gwiae and a shrine to venerate him, and even now, Jo clan and the locals love and strive to inherit and develop their scholastic achievement and ideas.